Auto crashes cause the most unintentional accidental injury deaths in the US. They result in more than 34,000 fatalities in 2012. This means four people lose their lives in a traffic accident every hour. It is an unfortunate fact that many people die each year due to careless and reckless driving. This leaves the victims’ families to grieve for them. They also must attempt to understand why this tragedy happened. Jimmie Kang Law Firm help families who have lost a loved one in an automobile accident. We work in Orange County and across California. We encourage you to speak to our Orange County auto accident attorneys. It will be without any cost or obligation. It will cover your legal options under California wrongful death law.
Causes of Fatalities in California Auto Accidents
More than 32,000 people die every year in car accidents. In 2013 (the most recent year for which statistics are available), California car crashes accounted for 3,000 of those deaths.
California’s Orange County is home to over 3.1 million residents and over 2.8 million registered vehicles as of 2014. According to the California Department of Motor Vehicles report, there were 230,853 collisions in the OC in 2014. A further breakdown shows:
- 3,121 fatalities
- 2,878 fatal collisions
- 162,711 collisions resulting in injuries
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, there are an average of 32,500 traffic accidents in the OC every year.
Many accidents happen due to weather and other uncontrollable events. They are also caused by poor judgment, unsafe driving, and other preventable factors. Check out this lust of common causes.
- Distracted driving. This is one of the fastest growing causes. It includes fatalities with inattentive driving. Distracted driving includes talking on a cell phone, texting, using other electronic devices, and performing activities like eating and grooming. These all take the drivers attention away from the road.
- Impaired driving. Drivers under the influence of alcohol or drugs take their own lives. They also take the lives of others sharing the road and car. They place their lives in their hands when they get in. They often are betrayed.
- Reckless driving. Speeding, driving erratically, ignoring traffic controls cause deaths. Even road rage can all lead to unnecessary and preventable auto deaths.
Back to the Top
How to Win a Wrongful Death Lawsuit from a California Auto Accident
With Orange County auto accident fatalities from reckless/negligent driver, surviving family members can bring a case. It will be a wrongful death lawsuit. Recognize that these suits depend on two factors.
- Proven negligence. Families must show that the defendant caused the death. They can point to his/her intentional or unintentional conduct. The latter is called negligence. In an auto case, this means that they legally caused the accident.
- Damages suffered. Once you show negligence, there must also be grounds for financial damages to win. This may be for loss of income, medical bills, funeral costs, or burial expenses. In some cases, pain and suffering to the surviving family count.
By filing an auto accident lawsuit, the family can defend their right to compensation for their loss. They must substantiate their claim in court. Lawsuits are generally filed by the immediate family. Parents of a child or spouses and children of the deceased bring them. Yet, others can too. Call us to see if you can pursue damages!
Will Insurance Cover All Costs in a Fatal Crash?
The at-fault driver will probably have auto insurance. This policy will cover some of your costs. Yet, insurance companies will try and pay the least amount they can. This is an important point. Fatal crashes can take away the main income earner. That can financially affect the family a lot. You will need to show negligence to build a case for wrongful death. This will open up your right to get money for the pain and expense of the death.
Insurance companies don’t profit by paying out more than they have to. This makes it hard to get what you deserve. Plus, you might suffer more than the cap. Thus, you will need to sue the driver personally. An Orange County car accident law firm can make a difference. We can take steps to increase your recovery. Don’t be pushed over by large insurance companies. Speak with us today.
Back to the Top
Wrongful Death Facts and Figures in California Car Accidents
Cars are involved in 70% of the fatal accidents in the US. This includes all deaths on the roads. Trucks are involved in almost 20%. Motorcycles, bikes and pedestrians represent only 11% of traffic related deaths combined. Many of the accidents reported are preventable. This makes the associated deaths needless.
Factors like distraction, fatigue, and impairment cause these crashes. It’s a shame so many families lose loved ones because drivers refuse are irresponsible. If your family lost a loved one, you can pursue legal action. There are many avenues to recover. You should seek all of them to repay the harms you have. They will be many. They will include financial and emotional. They might be felt by parents, kids, and spouses.
Back to the Top
Wrongful Death Claims in California Car Accidents
Victims and families suffer excruciating injuries. They are unlike any others. Review and understand the damages they create. It will shed light on the need for a case. You’ll find recovery under the law.
- Decedent’s Pain. You can bring a claim for the pain your loved one felt before death. Many people forget this fact. But the law still allows it. It does not perish when he or she dies. Also, this action can mean a lot of money.
- Family’s Suffering. When someone dies in a car accident in California, the whole family suffers. They can bring an action for lost support, services, and companionship. The law lets you get money for whatever the death caused you. This normally extends to spouses and children too. It can also extend to parents and siblings in some cases.
- Costs and Expenses. Wrongful deaths from auto accidents trigger a lot of costs for families. They have to pay for hospital bills, funeral fees, and lost income. It is crucial to see how you can recover for these things. There might be even more losses than you realize. We just paint a general picture to show you the scope of the issue. Just know that California law lets you recover. You deserve to recover!
Back to the Top
Further Reading, Resources, and Cites
- Motor Vehicle Crash Deaths
- General statistics
- Accidents or Unintentional Injuries
Back to the Top
Orange County Auto Accident Fatality Attorneys, Jimmie Kang Law Firm
Losing a family member in a preventable accident is traumatic. It can leave a family emotionally and financially devastated. It is important that you understand your right to pursue monetary compensation. An experienced legal team on your side can make all the difference.
The Orange County car accident attorneys at Jimmie Kang Law Firm have fought and won many wrongful death suits. We’ve assisted clients in California and across the country. Our team has the resources and experience needed to prove your case. Contact us for a free consultation. We can guide you to the path of recovery.